ATISA Logo - Click to go to ATISA Home Page 

Annual Meeting of the Association
Phoenix, AZ 08 November 2003

Present: Geoff Koby (presiding), Doug Robinson, Jonathan T. Hine Jr., Claudia Angelelli, Sonia Colina, Brian Baer, Christian DeGueldre, Marilyn Gaddis Rose, Sue Ellen Wright, Deborah Folaron, Michael Scott Doyle, David Sawyer, Rosemary Arroyo, Isjtar Conen, Judith Noval.

Convened at 1025,

Introductions.

Agenda

1. Report from the PWG
2. ATSA Meeting and Conference.

Publications Working Group

Jonathan T. Hine Jr. explained that the PWG had accumulated lists of possible publishers. However, Jonathan has to step down as coordinator because he is overcommitted. At this point, we have learned that creating a journal requires that we have a proposal for a publisher. To propose to a publisher, we need to show that people will write and people will read. This means self-publishing the first issue or so.

Claudia proposed that we start with the proceedings of our conferences, carefully post-edited and reviewed. Sue Ellen pointed out that we could include papers from more than one conference. Isjtar suggested adding invited papers.

Sue Ellen noted that people prefer to buy issues on a topic rather than large proceedings with many papers. Doug added that we could break the papers into smaller volumes, each with a topic.

Sue Ellen suggested calling for papers on a theme, collecting and vetting a half-dozen or so, working them over through the presentation at a small conference or session of a larger conference and repeating the process afterward.

Isjtar added that this format could be a year book, in between the journal and nothing, because you don't have to keep maintaining a pipeline.

Sonia added the alternative of possibly starting out as the special issue of another journal. This would allow everyone would be able to find out what the interest was. Isjtar countered that a journal with an established subscription list would not be able to generate the data we need, because a single special issue would not cause a change in subscriptions.

Geoff and Doug noted that by publishing a yearbook, when our conference is biennial, we can have the hot topics in the first yearbook and the more lasting topics in the second one. This was in response to a point from Marilyn that hot topics need to come out faster than more enduring one.

Sue Ellen noted the success of Sonia's presentation (46 attendees), and suggested that a conference/volume on just translation pedagogy.

Brian cut in that we need to keep clear the difference between a journal and a book collection.

Claudia read her proposed description of the journal. She emphasized the inclusive mission of the journal, so that Translation Studies can serve as an umbrella for a wide range of disciplines.

Doug took the "should" in the last sentence and noted that we could do some market research and find out if we are right.

Isjtar picked up on Brian's comment and suggested that a yearbook seems too static. We could publish a journal/volume annually, which contains papers, but also the commentary of a journal. She suggested a journal with two issues/year is too ambitious for a starting group. Doug noted that it could change into a journal.

Jonathan offered that at this point we have to face the fact that we need a point-person to serve as an editor. Doug suggested that this means Kent, Binghamton, Amherst, or Charlotte. Sue Ellen said that serving as an editor means having a graduate student, which opened the subject of getting that support. The group seemed to agree that an institution needs to sponsor this.

Geoff offered to be the coordinator of the Publications Working Group, but not the editor.

Sue Ellen noted that it is important to create critical mass, so that any effort can survive the loss of an important person.

Jonathan suggested that we need a Founding Editor, and that Geoff could provide incentive as President, but not try to dilute the responsibility of the Editor.

Geoff asked who might serve. The group agreed that members need to check their institutions. Marilyn reminded us to have a call.

Geoff summarized the issue by proposing that
1. Geoff will assume leadership of the PWG.
2. The PWG will issue a call for institutional support and
3. Recruit a Founding Editor.

The Meeting accepted the proposal by acclamation.

Doug warned us not to let the journal be high-jacked, as Geoff called it. (Meaning loss of control of the journal by the Association.)

Treasurer's Report

Jonathan reported that we do not have a budget, because our direction at Kent State in 2002 was to include journal costs in the dues structure. The Group recognized that without knowing what our expenses are we need to accumulate operating funds to support publication and mailing, etc.

Consensus was reached on

Full dues $25.00/year.

Student $ 10.00/year.

Jonathan will create a membership form. Geoff will publish it on the web-site. Meanwhile, Jonathan and Geoff will investigate incorporating so we can create a non-profit account at a large-enough bank (Bank of America), so that the responsibility can be moved easily to the next Treasurer.

Sue Ellen added that we could use ATA to scatter-shot our existence. Doug told Mike and Sue Ellen to send him an e-mail to get on the ATSA list.

ATSA II

Geoff read the call for papers for the Second ATSA Conference at UMASS, Amherst MA 26-28 March 2004. No concurrent sessions are planned.

Business meeting on Sunday.

Deadline for proposals to Ed Gentzler: 15 January 2004.

Geoff asked all present to cross-post the call to the list-serves to which they belong. Debbie will spread it to Canadian institutions.

Doug asked if we want to emphasize a theme for the conferences after ATSA II, perhaps adding focused sessions to the ATA conferences. Sue Ellen asked that even if we have a focus to the conference, we should always have some time for open papers.

Claudia offered to try to revive the research forum in the ATA Board Meetings, so we can count on a slot for papers at the ATA Conference.

Claudia will also ask permission to post our ATSA Call for Papers on the ATA Web site.

There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 1140.

Respectfully submitted,
Jonathan T. Hine Jr.
Secretary-treasurer.

Problems with this page? Contact Eric McCune, Webmaster, emccune@asu.edu